Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 276 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
General Discussion Jump to new posts
Re: Mt Williamson Route Options bobpickering 04/23/24 05:03 PM
Yes, Whitney is much more popular than Williamson, but the quota for Whitney is much larger. I’ve been over Shepherd Pass 20 times, including seven trips up Williamson. Four day-hikes and three overnight trips (one in February). The Shepherd Pass trail is a lot of work, but it’s a good trail. My only trip up George Creek was December 1995. It was a god-awful bushwhack with too much snow for bare boots and not enough snow to walk above the brush with snowshoes. I would have needed four days, and I only had three. Maybe the use trail is better than it was 29 years ago, but if it isn’t, you’ll regret George Creek.
3 213 Read More
Gear Heads Jump to new posts
Re: 36 Degree sleeping bag for Late July JMT/Whitney trip? AndrewK 04/19/24 04:07 PM
Never hiked Whitney before but it's always good to hear people confirm the rating for tents. I recently purchased a 20-rated sleeping bag.
2 3,540 Read More
Re: What size backpack for early season day trip Owen Strolle 04/18/24 09:41 PM
I'm attempting the mountaineers route. Currently planning on going this April before the quota kicks in but we will have to see if weather is permitting on my dates.
2 345 Read More
Re: Lottery Results Snacking Bear 04/09/24 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by Steve C
Joshua, after those two trips, either she's a keeper or she'll be fleeing for someone/someplace more civilized! grin

Haha, this will be the REAL test.
19 1,738 Read More
Re: Outpost or Trail Camp 395North 04/01/24 06:13 PM
We've done both and they have certainly their pros and cons. The thing we loved the most about starting from Trail Camp was we could roll out of our tent and have the switchbacks literally in your backyard, and later in the day when coming down it was glorious to have your tent there waiting to lay down in after you descended.

However, we enjoy Outpost a lot more as the water sources there feel cleaner, you got shade and it doesn't get as windy. Starting from Outpost was a lot more challenging for our old legs, but it was a very easy 4 mile hike to haul the gear up to that point, we acclimated for two days and then went for it.

This year we're still on the fence on the strategy. Trail Camp feels like you're on the moon, it's boring, but oh so darned convenient when it comes to the push to the summit.
2 436 Read More