Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 102 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
General Discussion Jump to new posts
Two climbers recovered on Mountaineers Route. Steve C 05/10/24 06:44 AM
Inyo County Sheriff report: https://www.facebook.com/InyoCounty...axbmFiQRFTFWI6l&__tn__=%2CO%2CP-R]-R

Here's an LA Times article... https://www.latimes.com/california/...MyhUmVB6nQrbSMgKfHqpEUuiINfPVP-VziMRyXRB

Sacramento Bee: https://www.sacbee.com/news/california/article288435189.html (behind a paywall, unfortunately)

Tuesday, May 7, 2024:
Three had summited from the Notch, they became separated descending the Final 400 (back down to the Notch). The first hiker waited at the notch, but the others never arrived.

Not sure why he waited until 8:30 pm to report. Also... It's never a good idea to move ahead and leave people behind.

Apparently they slipped and fell down the north slope of Mt Whitney, toward Arctic Lake, since recovery was turned over to Tulare County authorities. There is a notorious steep icy section at the bottom of the Final 400, one slip and it's over. That section must be traversed if they descended via the (not so) "easy walk-off". Or else they slipped someplace while descending the Final 400. Both descents encounter that steep icy spot.

May they rest in peace. It is so sad to learn of Whitney fatalities.
0 469 Read More
Whitney Portal Road Update? jackeichler 05/08/24 11:29 PM
I see online in the Inyo County road closures summary there is a detour on lower Whitney Portal road but it appears you can get up to the third gate higher up? Any updates on this would be appreciated. Planning to go up Meysen Lake trail May 19 or 20 and would like to confirm getting to the parking area near the campground that accesses that trailhead is accessible.
Many thanks.
0 251 Read More
Re: JMT 2024 SOBO advice WanderingJim 05/08/24 01:08 AM
Ah. I usually think of that as starting from Tuolumne Meadows so didn't get the LC reference.

Have fun.
3 385 Read More
Re: JMT 2024 SOBO advice abe 05/07/24 06:00 PM
Ok. Thank you. I'll stick to my bag I think.
>> Where is "LC"?
That is the Lyell Canyon trailhead. As you probably already know, but only 50% of the "Donahue exit" quota is now from the Happy Isles trailhead. So I do get to skip the first 20 miles / 3k climb out of Yosemite which is a mild positive.
3 385 Read More
Re: JMT 2024 SOBO advice WanderingJim 05/05/24 06:12 PM
Glad someone got some use out of my JMT trail reports.

For #1, I had a 32 degree rated bag on the JMT. And while there were some cold nights on the trail where I had to wear my down jacket, never really felt like I was freezing. I did wear my fleece pants most nights. So, if you can layer up, a 39 degree bag may be okay.

Where is "LC"?
3 385 Read More
JMT 2024 SOBO advice abe 05/04/24 07:21 PM
Hello all,
Long time lurker but first time poster. I know this is not a JMT board and for that I apologize but I like the advice given in this group. ( I have indeed joined the JMT FB group). I have looked at some of the JMT posts here as well as WanderingJims's recent TR.

I have a JMT2024 SOBO permit starting at LC with a July 24 start date. I have not done a long backpacking trip like this so I am doing my best to prepare and plan. I am trying to go light but not ultra light. Here are my questions:

1) I have a REI magma 30 bag (comfort rated for 39F). Is that adequate if I don't mind sleeping in my puffy jacket on really cold nights? I generally sleep warm. Or should I get a lower rated bag? I'll be sleeping in a BA CS2 tent on a Thermarest uberlite sleeping pad.

2) Since this looks to be a normal snow year, what are he chances that I will be able to ford the south fork of the San Joaquin river past MTR where the bridge is washed out? I know late last year in Sept. people had been able to do that. I am hoping that by the time I get there in the last days of July, it will be in the same considering the normal snow year this year compared to last. I don't want to miss the Evolution valley if at all possible. There is a chance of course that the new bridge will be up by that time and I don't have to worry.

I am sure I'll have more question as the date draws closer ... Thank you for your time.

-Abe
3 385 Read More
Hike / climb recommendations J523561 05/03/24 08:13 PM
Hello,

I have a permit for a Mt Whitney ascent on 5/8 and will be in Lone Pine for 3 days.

Can anyone please recommend any mountain hikes / climbs in the area with a similar difficulty level? Something in the mountains and with nice views. I will have crampons, an axe, spikes, etc.

Thank you!!
0 189 Read More
Re: First timer seeking advice Cristian 04/29/24 09:52 PM
Originally Posted by wyndal
Hello! My husband and I are trying to decide if we want to go for the overnight or single-day hike. We've scoured all the message boards and are still conflicted. Here's the rundown: we're both in pretty good physical shape, we are about to run our third half-marathon in a couple weeks. Pretty experienced hikers, we've done a couple big hikes here in Utah and climbed both Elbert and Massive fairly easily. Neither of us have ever experienced trouble with altitude.

However, neither of us particularly love backpacking. We both struggle to sleep well (if at all) and find that the second day is always a slog for us. We see a lot of conversations that make it sound like overnight is the better option, but are wondering if those people are more experienced backpackers than we are. We don't have time to do multiple nights on the mountain, so stretching our trip out isn't really an option.

Basically our choices are day hike (spending one night in lone pine, doing acclimatization hike, sleeping at portal, doing day hike) or quick overnight (spending one night in lone pine, doing acclimatization hike, sleeping at portal, and one night at trail camp before going back down to lone pine).

Any advice would be much appreciated!

spending a night at Trail Camp would give you the opportunity to enjoy the beauty of the area without the time pressure of completing the hike in a single day. You could take your time, enjoy the scenery, and make the most of your experience on the mountain.
4 770 Read More
Re: Lottery Results Cristian 04/29/24 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by Marty
Has anyone gotten their lottery results?
Ugh... I have never won a lottery
20 2,376 Read More
Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail Cristian 04/29/24 09:48 PM
Originally Posted by Tamar
Now it is a month or so later. Anyone summit and can relay what the conditions are now after all this heat? Still needing snow gear to take the Whitney Trail?
it's wise to bring appropriate gear and be prepared for varying conditions, as weather in mountainous regions can be unpredictable. This might include sturdy hiking boots, extra layers, sun protection, plenty of water, and potentially even traction devices for areas that still have snow or ice.
20 662,461 Read More
Re: Mt Williamson Route Options bobpickering 04/23/24 05:03 PM
Yes, Whitney is much more popular than Williamson, but the quota for Whitney is much larger. I’ve been over Shepherd Pass 20 times, including seven trips up Williamson. Four day-hikes and three overnight trips (one in February). The Shepherd Pass trail is a lot of work, but it’s a good trail. My only trip up George Creek was December 1995. It was a god-awful bushwhack with too much snow for bare boots and not enough snow to walk above the brush with snowshoes. I would have needed four days, and I only had three. Maybe the use trail is better than it was 29 years ago, but if it isn’t, you’ll regret George Creek.
3 365 Read More
Re: Mt Williamson Route Options Philippe 04/23/24 05:15 AM
If you get GPS tracks for the first few miles, George Creek is a fairly easy to follow use trail and really not that bad of a bushwack. The approach to Williamson from Georges creek is an easy class 2. If you plan to stay overnight, you could do a loop via Trojan peak and lake Helen of Troy, which are also easy class 2.
3 365 Read More
Re: Mt Williamson Route Options bridamour 04/22/24 10:21 PM
The Shepherd Pass route is a maintained trail all the way up to 12,000. I've been up that route 3 times and down it 4. It's a trudge, but an 'easy' trail to the Sierra crest. From there to Williamson, the route finding is straightforward but the terrain is varied. Anvil Camp is a good spot to split the climb. There are plenty of tent sites up at the pass as well, but that location is much more exposed. I've stayed at both locations - neither is better than the other. Depends on conditions and your interests. Higher up puts you closer to Williamson.

From reports I have seen, George Creek is an unpleasant bushwhack and is a less certain option for reaching the summit despite the more direct line.

If you have any flexibility on dates, you should have no trouble securing 2 permits in August for Shepherd Pass during the rolling 2 week 'walk up' permit window. The significant elevation gain seems to reduce demand for these permits. You can expect some other parties on Williamson on a weekend and may have the mountain to yourself during the week.
3 365 Read More
Mt Williamson Route Options frankthevi 04/22/24 09:56 PM
A couple of questions for my Sierra vets...

Dad and I are looking to booked Williamson via Shepard's pass trail for August. Problem is, we are east coast and the pass system doesn't let us reserve until two weeks before. What are the odds we'll get two for Shepard's pass? I've heard that Williamson isn't nearly as popular as Whitney.

The follow up to this is: I'm debating reserving George Creek trail to WIlliamson passes as a back up plan. Has anyone done that trail?
3 365 Read More
Gear Heads Jump to new posts
Re: 36 Degree sleeping bag for Late July JMT/Whitney trip? AndrewK 04/19/24 04:07 PM
Never hiked Whitney before but it's always good to hear people confirm the rating for tents. I recently purchased a 20-rated sleeping bag.
2 3,646 Read More
Re: What size backpack for early season day trip Owen Strolle 04/18/24 09:41 PM
I'm attempting the mountaineers route. Currently planning on going this April before the quota kicks in but we will have to see if weather is permitting on my dates.
2 470 Read More
Re: What size backpack for early season day trip Steve C 04/17/24 04:04 AM
I've never done a ski ascent, but if your gear "just barely fits" in the 36L pack, that one sounds about right. If you're skiing, you don't want something too big flopping around on your back. Add a couple of extra straps, and you can tie your clothing layers on the outside of the pack if they won't fit inside.

Good luck on the trip. Are you trying the Mountaineers Route or Main Trail route?
2 470 Read More