Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 36 guests, and 37 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Onion Valley to Whitney - best side hikes?
#60354 07/16/24 02:01 PM
K
OP Offline
K
Hey all,

My friends and I are making the titular hike first week of September via Kearsarge Pass. We're taking almost a full week, so we should have time and energy to make some hikes tangential to the main trail. Is there anywhere specific you'd recommend? I've seen Arctic Lake and Matlock Lake recommended-- but anywhere else? Are there any side hikes worth structuring our week around (i.e., planning campsites), like maybe Vidette Lakes or Wright Lakes?

Thanks!

Re: Onion Valley to Whitney - best side hikes?
Kenjamin #60355 07/16/24 10:51 PM
S
S
Not sure how far you plan on hiking the first day.... Stopping before Kearsarge Pass? Matlock Lake might be a good first night location.

Over Kearsarge Pass, you might like to visit Charlotte Lake -- and maybe spend a night -- before you drop down into Vidette Meadow.

Almost 20 years ago, my group and I hiked over the pass and all the way to the center basin junction, and I forgot to put my trail snacks into the bear box. Was awakened when the bear grabbed my pack and dragged it away. I got it back, minus the snacks.

Also, we camped overnight at the trailhead in Onion Valley, then at Center Basin junction, and third night at Wallace Creek -- pretty fast hiking. By the third night, I was suffering from AMS (altitude sickness) so much that I couldn't eat anything. I have since found Diamox (you need a prescription), and would take it a day before starting the hike. We camped on the summit the fourth night!

I visited Arctic Lk on one hike, on my up and over Whitney Russell pass. Arctic Lake is well above tree line, no vegetation. I wouldn't take a side trip to see it.

If you have the time, there is an almost non-existent side trail "Lower Whitney Creek" trail, actually shown on the CalTopo map. If you look for it, (maybe using a gps to locate it: 36.55318,-118.35911), you can drop down .8 mile, dropping 200' elevation, to a sweet isolated spot by Whitney Creek to camp. Horse packers used that spot years ago. I once melted my lighter there trying to light some twigs to fry the (small) fish I'd caught in the creek. Twigs and all wood was too wet due to a recent rain storm!

Good luck with your hike! Read up on altitude sickness.

Steve C #60356 07/17/24 09:34 AM
K
OP Offline
K
That's all fantastic info, thanks! We're planning to camp out for a night at or near the Onion Valley campground for a night to help acclimate. And we already have enough Diamox for the group for the duration of the trip, thankfully.

Kenjamin #60374 09/30/24 04:17 AM
M
M
For your Onion Valley to Whitney trek via Kearsarge Pass, you've got some fantastic side hike options to consider! Matlock Lake is indeed a scenic detour, but if you're looking for more, Vidette Lakes offers a serene, less-trafficked spot that’s perfect for a peaceful camp. Wright Lakes is another great choice, especially if you're into high-altitude landscapes and solitude. If you're feeling ambitious, Mount Tyndall is a rewarding challenge with epic views. Arctic Lake is stunning and close to the main trail near Guitar Lake, so it’s worth a visit too. All these options provide beautiful, off-the-beaten-path experiences that are definitely worth structuring your campsites around.

Link Copied to Clipboard