Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Bear canister for backpacking
#60317 06/04/24 11:05 PM
H
OP Offline
H
Is Bear canister required for backpack camping at outpost camp and trail camp? Is bear going to those two camps?

Re: Bear canister for backpacking
Henry Cai #60323 06/07/24 03:57 PM
J
J
If you are camping overnight and carrying food or smelly things (like deodorant) then you are required to have a bear can. I've never had a bear go after my food, but plenty of mice, chipmunks, and marmots have tried.

Once, I inadvertently left a tiny bag of salty peanuts in my backpack side pocket. At least two mice tore through the pocket and ate all the peanuts. How do I know? The next morning my collapsible 1 gallon water bucket had two mice in it (frozen solid). They must have been thirsty and gone for the water. Having fallen into water in the bucket they couldn't get out. The water froze solid overnight (not what I was expecting). This was in August of 2009. I hadn't anticipated temps dropping below freezing that night. Lessons learned. 1) don't leave snacks in your side pockets. 2) don't assume it won't get that cold at night. 3) in a survival situation, find a bucket or pot, fill it partially with water, leave a trail of food (like seeds from pine cones) for rodents to follow and fall in the bucket. If your lucky you might have a squirrel or a mouse in the bucket for breakfast. I actually felt bad for the mice and have been much more careful ever since that happened.

In the past, you could rent a bear can from the lone pine ranger / visitor center where you pickup your permits. During part of covid years this was not possible. Also, I believe Elevation Sierra Adventure in lone pine has rented out cans in the past. I'm not sure they currently do this. If you backpack more than a few times its better to buy one. I use the bearikade scout for trips less than a week (I don't eat much on trail for 1st 9 days yet always pack way more food than I ever eat). It's made of carbon fiber and aluminum, but is pricey. The plastic ones are heavier, but do the job nicely. One of my buddy's has the clear blue kind. That's really helpful. You can easily see what you are looking fore before opening the can. Most REI stores stock the black opaque and/or clear blue plastic bear cans (shipping is free for orders above a certain amount and I usually get it my order in less than a week). Bearikade you have to order directly from their site. Outside of bear country I have used a wire mesh bag that is very light weight and has totally frustrated foxes and mice. I do now put in a zip lock plastic liner because I camp regularly in areas that have had hanta virus outbreaks plus a few areas that have had plague outbreaks also stops ants in the short term. The wire mesh keeps critters out and the plastic liner prevents saliva and flees (from the animals) from contaminating food.

Use a can, relax, and enjoy the adventure. It will be awesome.

Henry Cai #60324 06/07/24 10:40 PM
A
AFM Offline
A
Here is some information that I received over the last couple of years. We made an attempt last August but didn't make it to the summit due to snow. We were told however by a ranger on the trail at Outpost Camp that bear cannisters were required but told him of our conversation in May of 2023. He didn't write us up because a few others had checked and Ursack's were acceptable but not recommended.

5/17/24

Hi,

Bear canisters are recommended or required all year. Ursack allowed on Inyo and Sierra National Forests because we don't have legal authority to list allowed food storage containers. Any type of container is allowed if it is designed to keep bears from gaining access. Recommend metal liner. Ursack not allowed in Yosemite National Park and Sequoia/Kings Canyon National Park where bear cans are required. National Parks require all scented items and used toilet paper in bear cans. Use shared food storage box if available because many bears have learned to obtain counter-balanced food. Determined bear may chew through 5-inch diameter branch, jump down onto sack, pull up sack, shake tree until bag drops low enough to reach, and walk off with sack. Bear can't open properly tied Ursack, but food inside will be crushed and covered with bear spit. Made of Kevlar for bullet proof vests. Twist tops have been pried off by bears. Canisters may be disallowed at any time due to failures in the field. If bear eats your food, your trip is over. Be good to bears. They deserve respect, not garbage. Bear's sense of smell is 40 times better than a dog's, which is 10 times better than a human's. Nuisance black bear (Ursus americanus) may have to be killed. Strongly recommended and approved bear cans by Yosemite and Sequoia Kings Canyon National Park are Garcia Backpacker 812-C (good stool and washing machine), Counter Assault Bear Keg, Bare Boxer contender 101 and champ 202, Wild Ideas Bearikade weekender MKII and expedition MKII, Bear Vault 110b, 200, 250, 300, 350, 400, 450, 500, Lighter 1 Little Sami and Big Daddy, UDAP no-fed bear, Wise Backpack. Please see https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/inyo/learning/safety-ethics/?cid=fsbdev3_003846.

Thanks,

Stan

Stan Kot
Visitor Information Assistant
Forest Service
Inyo National Forest, Supervisor's Office
p: 760-873-2400
351 Pacu Lane, Suite 200
Bishop, CA 93514
www.fs.usda.gov/inyo

5/8/24
I just called and talked to a ranger at the Eastern Sierra Visitor Center just south of Lone Pine asking about the use of the Ursack in the Whitney Zone. She indicated that Ursacks are approved but not recommended just as the ranger at the White Mountain Visitor Center did last year. Apologies but I don't know the "geography" very well in the area. Have to do some homework on the Whitney Zone, Inyo, and Sequoia. She did state that Ursacks are not approved in the Sequoia area and that the summit of Whitney is in Sequoia. Usrsacks are approved at Trail Camp which is in the Whitney Zone. No one would take an Ursack to the top anyway so it seems that Ursacks are practically speaking approved in the Whitney Zone. We will use odor proof Opsacks in the Ursack.

5/25/23

Yesterday (5/25/23) I talked to a ranger at the White Mountain Station. Phone number 760-873-2500. She said that the Ursack Major XL was approved for the Whitney Zone but not recommended. The reason for the non recommendation was that most of the Whitney Trail is above the treeline. The Ursack then cannot be hung from a tree and therefore marmots and other rodents as well as birds could get in through the opening which is closed by a knotted cord. It appears to me that using the double or triple overhand knot does a good job of closing the opening to the smaller critters. We are planning to use the Ursack as it saves ~ 2 lbs and is much easier to pack. We will also use Opsacks in the Ursack to hopefully eliminate odors and as someone mentioned place the Ursack away from our tent with rocks on top of it.

Last edited by AFM; 06/07/24 10:42 PM.
Henry Cai #60326 06/10/24 03:45 PM
I got a AllMitey Grizzly Bear and Critter Sack - 20 Liters for hiking part of the Colorado and Continental Divide Trails. They don't requiere Bear Canister and I wanted to save the weight.

It was okay, but I got a little sick of finding a tree to hang it from. And the closure is only via the built in rope, so wasn't sure it would hold up for long if there was a determined animal trying to get inside, but I always had to be careful to double tie it securely as possible. Didn't have any other issues with it.

Last edited by WanderingJim; 06/10/24 03:47 PM.
WanderingJim #60328 06/11/24 09:24 AM
T
T
I think there were some tests a while (decades?) ago, showing the durability of the sack but also demonstrating the grinding-to-pulp of the contents of the sack. Yes, you've saved the bear from a 'free trip to Rae Lakes' but you now must power your retreat by eating oatmeal con carne. :P

Henry Cai #60375 09/30/24 04:18 AM
M
M
Yes, a bear canister is recommended and often required for backpack camping at outpost and trail camps, especially in bear-prone areas. Even if bears are not frequently spotted at those specific camps, wildlife regulations often mandate bear canisters to store food securely and prevent attracting animals. Bears may not always visit these camps, but they can be unpredictable, and proper food storage helps protect both you and the wildlife. Always check the local guidelines before heading out.

Link Copied to Clipboard