Next Thread
Print Thread
Trip Report 7/24-7/25
#16824 07/28/11 05:11 AM
J
Jrod8 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
First time Whitney Hiker and Trip Reporter here...so take it easy! :-)

My brother and I hit the trail at 5:30 am on Sunday the 24th. This was a first time for both of us so despite looking tired, we were really excited about this! We got a late start because of an evening of bear encounters http://www.whitneyzone.com/wz/ubbthreads.php/topics/16791#Post16791 ,but now we were ready to roll!

We were both surprised at how hot it got so quickly. Shedding layers very shortly after we took off, we had a couple of goals heading up to trail camp. The first was to GO SLOW! No matter how many people passed us, we didn't care, by resisting the urge to fly up that mountain from the get go, I believe you are really investing in how you are going feel those last couple miles when you really need to dig deep!

The second goal was to drink and eat often whether we wanted to or not. Lots and lots of water, stinger bars, peanuts, pop tarts, cliff blocks, jerkey, etc going up. Next time around, I would pack more of this smaller/quicker stuff and less "larger meals" like mountain house, etc. My brother using a steri pen to sterilize the water.

The last weather report that we had seen called for a slight chance of thunderstorms the following day so we decided that if we felt well at trail camp, we would set up camp, drop some weight and push on up to take that slight chance out of play. That's what we did and turned out to be the perfect call for us. We reached trail camp at 11:00am, took an hour break. We ate, rested, drank and then took off at noon. We both left with 3L in our hydration packs (as advised here on WZ), food and a packed jacket and extra layers and took off. We figured we could hopefully make summit in 4 hours and be back down in 3 hours putting us back at trail camp way before dark around 7:00pm.

The switchbacks were the hardest part of this whole thing for both of us, not so much physically, but mentally. The really are endless...The snow crossing before the cable section was definitely tricky because of the steep grade, on the return trip we noticed you could scramble down there and bypass this area by dropping down to a lower switchback. The cable section was really a non issue. There was a clear dry pathway. The 3rd snow crossing was a little trickier but still not bad...hand over hand works well here. It was the next snowy area on top of the chute that was the toughest for me. Go slow here, watch your steps, don't look down and you will be fine. Take advantage of whatever equipment makes you most comfortable here. We were fine with trekking poles and trailrunners.

Cable Section

2nd Snow Section on switchbacks

Snow crossing at the chute

We made trail crest at 2pm and I think many hikers were worried about us thinking that we might be day hikers and most likely would never make it back in daylight heading up this late. We assured everyone that we were only heading back to trail camp that day and pushed forward.

From trail crest to the summit was a haul...The trail is very technical, loose rocks, etc. Never felt I was going to fall off or anything but it definitely slows you up. We were still on pace to summit by 4:00pm so we kept pushing, getting a second wind of sorts after taking in the spectacular views of Sequoia NP and breathtaking views through the 4 windows.

We finally reached the last snowfield, it was a fairly simple pass. It looks worse than it is. The last couple hundred feet ascending to the top was torture. You want to be there so bad and waiting for the Smithsonian hut to appear, but we just kept seeing more rocks!

Finally we arrived...we made it and just a couple minutes passed 4:00pm. We were all alone up there, just me and my brother. Perfect Clear skies, warm day...it was perfect! We took some pics, looked around, signed the registry, refueled and headed back. All the message boards I had read, all the research I had done, all the training hikes made had finally paid off...we had done it!

No problems on the way down, the slush was now ice, but in many ways easier to deal with because despite being more slick, it was easier for poles to anchor into.

Returned to trail camp at 7:12 pm...right on schedule.

Some smoke rolled in trail camp that evening from a nearby fire, but all in all...it was great night's sleep and we were literally on top of the world from the experience!

Hiked out the next morning...not worried about food, hydration, schedule, altitude sickness,or any other variables, just me and my brother laughing and hiking in the woods like kids again!

Had a amazing trip and met many really great fellow hikers...

Final Thoughts

Absolutely a trip of a lifetime!

Educate yourself about your trip: read these boards (the good people know their stuff here on WZ), look what has worked and hasn't worked for people on their trips. Stay up to date on weather/trail conditions. I literally spent hours and hours looking at pics, reading posts and questioning those who had went before me, not saying it's necessary, but it worked for me.

Acclimate: We stayed one night at Horseshoe Meadows and then one night at the Portal. We also both used Diamox...just in case.

I hope that this report could be a help to someone planning a trip. That is really my motivation in writing it...I know that I literally burnt up my refresh button as I looked for any new trip report or any tidbit of information the weeks leading up to my trip. Hopefully this well help someone in some small way. Good Luck... and THANK YOU - Whitney Zoners for all your contributions that helped me so much!

Last edited by Jrod8; 07/28/11 07:34 AM.
Re: Trip Report 7/24-7/25
Jrod8 #16825 07/28/11 05:32 AM
Congratulations to both of you...

All of those great photos have a story behind them that both of you will share with each other, your family, your friends.

Some of those pictures warrant an 8 x 10.

Question is....

Did you finish with a smile on your face? grin

I am sure you both did...

Journey well...
Jrod8 #16826 07/28/11 06:06 AM
Hey, we met on the trail! Didn't know it was you though.

My friend and I ran into you as we were heading down from the summit. You and you're brother were hanging out somewhere near the windows, I think. Then we ran into you on Monday, at Outpost Camp, and leapfrogged back and forth with you a bit after that.

Great trip report! Great pictures! Congrats!

Akichow #16827 07/28/11 06:38 AM
H
H
Just got back from summiting Whitney yesterday and yeah those 97 switchbacks were a nightmare it took me almost two hours to reach Trail Crest. There were tricky areas on those switchbacks with the snow the cable section was not an issue. Was going to summit Mt. Muir but it looked like a Class V peak and couldnt find a way to get up there, has anyone done this peak without ropes or did it the same day after summiting Whitney?

Akichow #16837 07/28/11 12:01 PM
J
Jrod8 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Akichow, I remember!...It is always nice putting a name with a face. Congrats on your trip, just read your trip report and it was great as well. Loved the pics!

Jrod8 #16840 07/28/11 01:36 PM
Rod Offline
Congrats Jrod.Love anyone named Rod doing something grand. MW is a great and grand accomplishement. Congratulations. Great TR and great pics.

+ @ti2d #16856 07/29/11 11:53 AM
J
Jrod8 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
@ti2d....thanks and of course we did!

Rod....thanks a lot!, we are still just pumped from the whole thing!...now, what to do next? hmmm..

Jrod8 #16857 07/29/11 12:41 PM
Originally Posted By: Jrod8
...now, what to do next? hmmm...

When it comes to hiking Whitney...

Once is one too many or one more is never enough...

Journey well...

Link Copied to Clipboard